20th Century Characteristics
(20th Century 1)
- Composers experiment with "aleatoric" music, in which form and
structure are determined by chance.
- Intricate harmonies paint beautiful pictures of sound. Modal, pentatonic,
and twelve-tone scale are often used. Chords often have dissonant intervals,
such as 2nds, 7ths, 9ths, and 11ths.
- Keyboard Instruments
- Electronic keyboards, synthesizers, and pianos are used.
- Changing meters, polyrhythms (more than one rhythm used at the same time)
- Vague outlines of melody and rhythm, soft and colourful tones and shimmering effects are used.
Dissonance, prepared instruments, new notation types and precise dynamic,
phrasing and tempo indications are used. There is a variety of harmonies,
moods, rhythms, and styles found in this period.