- Types of pieces popular during this period were character pieces,
concertos, dances, etudes and variations.
- There was a wide use of chromatic harmony, accidentals, diminished,
and dominant sevenths and modulation to distant keys. Thick textures
with full chords were popular.
- Keyboard Instruments
- The pianoforte (piano) was the instrument of this period.
- Complex rhythms with two notes against three were used. There was
also much syncopation.
- Expressive personal feeling, singing (cantabile) lines, varied accompaniment
figures, varied phrase lengths and varied dynamics and tempos were